Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Why I Started This Blog - Part II

Reason #1, improve my faith life. But, reason #2 is a pretty close second. Our finances are not in great shape. In fact, they're in bad shape. My husband makes about $60k/year, I can't find a job to save my life, and now that our first child is coming, I won't be working once he is born. So, we have $60k/year and much more debt than that.

We are also lacking in willpower, as demonstrated by our grocery bill. I cook more like Martha Stewart than Rachael Ray, so our bill is always higher than necessary. I tend to make elaborate dinners and desserts, plus I am gluten-intolerant, which makes trimming that bill difficult.

We are both college graduates, so combined, we have $80k in student loan debt, 2 late model cars and payments to go with them, and about $8k in credit card debt. Yikes, I don't even like to think about it. But, if we don't, we certainly will never own a home, have a nice retirement, or be able to travel when we're old. We're still not sure if we're going to help our kids pay for college, and if so, how much.

Thus, this blog. I am going to write about some strategies that I find, whether or not they work, and our progress toward the goal of being debt free and financially solvent.

Wish us luck!

No comments: