Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Today's Saint: St. Pacifico of San Severino

This man, a Franciscan friar, from the 17th century lived quite the austere life. He ate soup, bread and water, always in a continual fast. He caught a disease which left him deaf, blind and crippled. Yet, through all of these trials and self-imposed hardship, he remained faithful and offered up his sufferings for others.

Wow, reading about saints, even when their sinfulness is omitted, makes it clear that I still have a long way to go toward sainthood. I am always in awe of those who give their entire lives to others. The message for me today is that I should give something up for someone else, or do some work of charity. I do not have an outside the house job, this shouldn't be too difficult.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Franciscans are my favorites. I love St. Francis of Assisi.

The Jesuits have teh brains, and I respect that, but Assisi had heart.

Anonymous said...

Oh! And even though he is Episopalian and liberal, you might like my favorite religious blogger.

http://monasticmumblings.typepad.com/

He pretty much just blogs the liturgical calender, and since the Catholic and Episcopal calenders are nearly identical...

Oh, and he has something up right now about St. Francis of Assisi