Tuesday, October 14, 2008

St. Callistus I

St. Callistus is today's saint of the day. He was a pope in the very early Catholic Church and the second martyr after St. Peter. According to americancatholic.org (http://americancatholic.org/Features/SaintofDay/default.asp), he was a very forgiving man, while still upholding the moral truths which are so important to the faith. He was criticized by Hippolytus (the first anti-pope) for being too lenient. Here is a list, from americancatholic.org of the things he forgave.

(1) Callistus admitted to Communion those who had already done public penance for murder, adultery, fornication; (2) he held marriages between free women and slaves to be valid—contrary to Roman law; (3) he authorized the ordination of men who had been married two or three times; (4) he held that mortal sin was not a sufficient reason to depose a bishop; (5) he held to a policy of leniency toward those who had temporarily apostatized during persecution.

It is interesting to me the old forms of penance, and reconciliation with the church. I feel so blessed that they have lightened the penances, and increased the ease of reconciliation with the church. I don't always think 10 hail mary's is enough, but I think public penance is over the top. Way over the top.

Note to myself for today: be lenient with others faults, and stick to my guns about morality in my own life. I'll try to take the log out of my eye before I tell someone about the speck in another's.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Personally, the thing that grossed me our was learning about flagullation. I could have gone my whole life without that. I'm glad nobody does that anymore either. And the salt thing is just over the top. :-)

Anonymous said...

Hi,
I'm a new blogger too and just came across you while searching for other like-minded ladies. It seems we're a dying breed! I'm only 26 and just had my second baby last year. I have a love of frugality just like you! I'm a Colorado girl too...Greeley! Congratulations on your new baby. I hope to hear more from you, though I know how it can be with a new baby.